Saturday, January 14, 2012

A snapshot of my pregnancy




I am 35 weeks pregnant today and so excited that within a few short weeks Lukas Ellis could be making an appearance! With all this excitement, I felt I should take some time to reflect upon my pregnancy.

I didn't really have any strong cravings- in the first trimester baked potatoes always seemed to satisfy any hunger pains that I felt. I always enjoyed greek yogurt and fresh fruit. One funny thing, though, that I found out last week I can eat again, is that I was unable to eat ice cream or frozen yogurt in the first trimester without getting sick. Don't know why- milk, cheese, any other dairy products were fine. Mike, on the other hand, had ALL the cravings :) He's never been much of a sweet eater, but brownies, cookies, and chocolate were something he definitely craved during the first trimester. I don't think we will know for sure if that was pregnancy sympathy or stress. Now, he craves salty things.

Pregnancy has definitely brought me closer to the Lord. I had some morning sickness (and no, morning sickness does not just hit you in the morning) and I relied heavily on prayer to get through some tough work days. After a few weeks, though, it went away. In fact, the transition into the second trimester felt like a miracle. My energy returned, nausea ceased, and I really learned to enjoy pregnancy at this time. Second trimester also brought about a sense of relief (we made it past the 12 week mark!), the learning that we were having a boy, and the start of my nesting period. I guess I nested early. I remember waking up one Saturday morning and having a mini panic attack that we had nothing ready for our baby. That same day, we bought a crib and dresser.

A week after we went to the ultrasound where they revealed the gender (we kept this secret from us hidden in an envelope we delivered to a bakery), we had a party with our family to celebrate whether or not we were having a boy or girl. I have to admit, I was pretty shocked when Mike cut into the cake and the icing was blue. I had convinced myself somehow that we were going to have girl. Either way- we were excited! My parents were there too and my brother skyped from his dorm in Utah. This party was around the time we moved from Yukon to Norman and when Mike's grandfather passed away. We realized the blessing of life and family. We were able to tell Mike's grandfather about the pregnancy before his passing and I know that he would have been so excited to learn that we were going to have a boy to add to the family. Going to the funeral left Mike with a renewed sense of pride in his grandfather and a desire to be a great father, husband, and friend like his grandfather had been to all around him.

One of my favorite memories was the first time Mike felt Lukas kick. We were in bed one night and after discussing a few days prior to this event of how Mike had felt slightly left out because of all the things I was feeling Lukas do, he reached over to touch my belly and felt Lukas kick his hand. His whole face lit up and I could tell at that moment that he was hooked to this child as much as I was. Lukas went from being a fetus (an alien looking ball) to a baby. I am grateful for my husband and his support through these last 35 weeks. I know that at times, it can feel like I have been pregnant FOREVER. He always encourages me and makes me feel beautiful despite the unfamiliar changes that I am going through. He is going to be a great dad.

Third trimester has marked a period of education. I have been reading a lot about how to get ready for birth, parent preparation, and working out post pregnancy. I am excited for the transition that Mike and I will be going through in the next month. Third trimester has also brought about a period of creativity. I have enjoyed doing several craft projects for Lukas's room and our house. Overall, I have to admit pregnancy has been a positive experience and has brought Mike and I closer. As we countdown the last few weeks, I look forward to spending more time together as we prepare for our son to come home!

Oh- and for Christmas this year, Mike got me a rowing machine. I am so excited to start doing my workouts again!




No comments:

Post a Comment