Sunday, June 5, 2011

Feelings

My lesson this week in my Sunbeam class is on feelings and it got me thinking about all the feelings that I have felt in my life. Life is full of ups and downs and I have learned that it is how we react to these circumstances that makes the difference.

This past week, my little brother graduated from high school. As he gets ready to leave for college in a new state away from home, it reminded me of the feelings that I felt being a new graduate. I was scared- scared to leave my family, my friends, my high school boyfriend- scared that my new life was never going to be as good as the life I had then. I was excited at the same time, which confused me. I was going to Oklahoma where I had no family and very few friends, but I was fortunate to have the rowing team waiting for me at the University of Tulsa. I knew that I would have instant friends at church too with my same standards.

College was great. I loved being a part of the rowing team and had the opportunity to serve as team captain for 2 years. Rowing taught me that with hard work, I could achieve any goal that I set. The girls on the team and my coaches became my family. College also brought with it sadness, heartbreak, love, laughter, and many great memories. Looking back, I didn't do everything right, but the path I took helped me become the person I am today.

After college, it was time to embark on a new journey. I got my own place and started working. I learned to be self-providing and gained confidence in my abilities. Living on my own was not easy, but it was rewarding. My relationship with my college boyfriend ended and I learned that I could be happy on my own. I gained an understanding of myself and re-learned that I had a very strong testimony in Jesus Christ.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, I was re-introduced to my now husband. Funny how this happens when you gain the ability to be happy on your own. Mike has been the greatest blessing in my life and I have grown to love him more and more each day.

Overall, looking back on my 25 years, life has been a roller coaster full of surprises. I wouldn't change it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment